The most common types of mold includeaspergillus,cladosporium and stachybotrys atra (also known as black mold). Aspergillus is a fairly allergenic mold that is commonly found on foods and in home air conditioning systems.
Is Toxic Black Mold the Worst Kind of Mold?
The story about “toxic mold” whether black, white, or orange is more complex than most people know. First, although all “mold growth” is capable of producing mycotoxins (which are harmful to human health), none produce mycotoxins all the time. Not even Stachybotrys.
Is Mold Always Toxic?
What makes mold more or less dangerous is who it is affecting. Everyone responds to mold differently. One out of every five or six people are allergic to mold. This can result in a wide array of health side effects ranging from an annoying itchy nose to severe allergic reactions. People with asthma or other preexisting conditions also have a greater likelihood of having dangerous reactions to mold exposure.
Mold is NOT toxic it is toxigenic. It can release mycotoxins when it has a moisture source, the right food source and is growing. There are millions of mold species, black mold or Stachybotrys Chartarum is just one kind. It is no more dangerous than some of the most common indoor molds that are pink, brown or green like Penicillium or Aspergillus. It depends on the person
In 2004 the Institute of Medicine (IOM) found there was sufficient evidence to link indoor exposure to mold with upper respiratory tract symptoms, cough, and wheeze in otherwise healthy people; with asthma symptoms in people with asthma; and with hypersensitivity pneumonia in individuals susceptible to that immune-mediated condition. The IOM also found limited or suggestive evidence linking indoor mold exposure and respiratory illness in otherwise healthy children. Other recent studies have suggested a potential link of early mold exposure to development of asthma in some children, particularly among children who may be genetically susceptible to asthma development, and that selected interventions that improve housing conditions can reduce morbidity from asthma and respiratory allergies, but more research is needed in this regard.
Treat All Mold with Respect
A common-sense approach should be used for any mold contamination existing inside buildings and homes. The common health concerns from molds include hay fever-like allergic symptoms. Certain individuals with chronic respiratory disease (chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder, asthma) may experience difficulty breathing. Individuals with immune suppression may be at increased risk for infection from molds. If you or your family members have these conditions, a qualified medical clinician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment. For the most part, one should take routine measures to prevent mold growth in the home.
While there is no need to run in fear at the phrase ‘toxic black mold’ it is important to treat ALL mold with respect. The truth is, as a business owner or homeowner, you likely don’t know exactly how all the building occupants will react to mold exposure.
Is All Mold Toxic?
The term “toxic mold” is not accurate. While certain molds are toxigenic, meaning they can produce toxins (specifically mycotoxins), the molds themselves are not toxic, or poisonous. Hazards presented by molds that may produce mycotoxins should be considered the same as other common molds which can grow in your house. There is always a little mold everywhere – in the air and on many surfaces. There are very few reports that toxigenic molds found inside homes can cause unique or rare health conditions such as pulmonary hemorrhage or memory loss. These case reports are rare, and a causal link between the presence of the toxigenic mold and these conditions has not been proven.
What Should I Do If I have Mold In My House?
Don’t disturb the mold. Leave it alone and call John The MoldMan for help to ensure the safety of all those involved. John The Moldman is not an alarmists when it comes to mold, but it does need to be removed and the source of water creating the mold needs to be fixed, like a leaky water pipe, drain pipe ( i.e. toilet, sink or shower drains.), roof leaks etc. If the repair is not made, the mold will keep being fed the moisture it needs to grow inside your moist, dark, cool walls.
That’s were the MoldMan services come in. We take out the mold, search for the water source and fix it. When mold is present, there is always a hole somewhere letting water in to make mold grow in your walls. The longer you wait to fix the source, the worse the mold will get.
I’M a Landlord and My Rental Has Mold In It. What Should I do?
If your rental has mold, make sure you respond quickly. The quick response isn’t just for health reasons, but more for liability reasons. Landlords who wait and neglect their rental properties are violating city and state law because they are required to provide a clean, safe and hazardous free environment. When tenants feel neglected and endangered, they start making calls for advise, and one of those calls will defiantly be a blood thirsty attorney. But if you act quickly and cautiously, you will dramatically reduces your risk for a legitimate law suit.